Our Commitment to Sustainability
At Andrew’s Garden, we are committed to sustainability by providing the highest quality products while also making changes in our floral design & business practices to promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability. This is an on-going commitment to take one step at a time, large and small, aimed at making positive impacts in our community and protecting our planet.
We are adding to the list all the time, but here are some of our accomplishments so far.
- We eliminated the use of toxic floral foam in all of our designs.
- We fill our shop with locally-grown, seasonal flowers during the Midwest growing season.
- We send the majority of our plant & flower waste to be composted.
- We do not use dyed, bleached, or painted fresh and dried flowers.
- We are constantly educating our AG Team about alternative floral mechanics and environmentally friendly floral design.
- We have significantly reduced our use of cellophane in our floral packaging and gift wrapping by using alternative products such as compostable wraps and paper products.
- We recycle paper, plastics, metals.
- We reuse & recycle vases through our Vase Recycling Program (see below).
- We avoid single-use plastics whenever possible.
- We are adding new eco-friendly product lines to our shop.
- We support local, independent businesses in our community and everywhere we travel.
- We are reducing paper use in our offices by prioritizing digital filing and storage.
- We are prioritizing wages, benefits, & working conditions for our AG Team.
- We seek out suppliers & growers that promote safe & fair working conditions for their employees.
- We continue to educate ourselves about sustainable floristry and network with other florists & business owners around the world to share ideas including attending the Sustainable Flowers Project, an annual creative & educational workshop.
- We promote sustainable floristry with all other florists that we know.
- We are trying to be more thoughtful about sustainability with every decision we make at Andrew’s Garden.
Vase Recycling Program
We welcome your unwanted vases as part of our Vase Recycling Program! You may drop off clean, unwanted vases at our shop in Downtown Wheaton on any day during regular business hours. We will either reuse, donate, or recycle them. We prefer that you bring them during regular business hours so that we can properly thank you in person. If that is not possible, you may leave them in a box, bag, or other container on the concrete stoop under the stairs by the back door to our shop. (Please do not place them on the ground & block our back door, cellar door, or our neighbor’s door!)
What will we do with the vases you drop off?
- Quality vases that meet our standards will be reused at Andrew’s Garden.
- We reuse certain vases to repurpose leftover wedding & event flowers to sprinkle them throughout the community.
- Undamaged vases that cannot be reused will be donated.
- Vases that are cracked, chipped, or otherwise damaged will be recycled as appropriate.
Vase Trade-In Days
Our first Vase Trade-In event was so successful that we are doing it again! On the days listed below, we will accept reusable vases* in exchange for credit on an Andrew’s Garden gift card! Store credit amounts for reusable vases will generally range from $1 to $5 per vase depending on size & style. Certain large, specialty, or footed vases may qualify for larger credit. Bring in at least one reusable vase and the minimum credit you will receive is $5! We love vases that originally came from Andrew’s Garden! If we are unable to reuse a vase, we will gladly donate or recycle it.
*To be considered reusable, it must be a washed, clear glass vase (no colored glass or ceramics unless they were purchased at AG), without damage, cracks, or chips. Store credit only available during business hours on scheduled Vase Trade-In Days.
Upcoming Vase Trade-In Days
- October 21-22, 2022
- February 3-4, 2023
- March 31-April 1, 2023
- July 7-8, 2023
- October 20-21, 2023
Please join us and be part of the solution! We appreciate your help in promoting sustainability. Besides participating in our Vase Recycling Program, there are lots of other things you can do too! For starters, participate in your local recycling, yard-waste collection, & composting options. Below is a list of other great local resources. If you are not here in our area, search for similar resources where you live!
- SCARCE – One of the most comprehensive resources in the area! Check out their Events!
- Learn about Conservation with the Wheaton Park District!
- Participate in activities & education programs with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County!
- Learn & be part of the solution with the Morton Arboretum!
- Support our natural environment by becoming a member of Cantigny Park.
- Wheaton Environmental Improvement Commission – Get involved locally & join a commission!
Let us know if there are more we should add to our list!