At Andrew’s Garden, we are committed to providing the highest quality products while also making changes in our floral design & business practices to promote environmental, economic, and social sustainability. This is an on-going commitment to take one step at a time, large and small, aimed at making positive impacts in our community and protecting our planet.
We appreciate your help in promoting sustainability. As we all educate ourselves, let’s take whatever actions we can at home. We don’t have to tackle the whole challenge at once. One tiny step at a time makes a difference! Our message on all of our gift bags:
Sustainability is a core value of Andrew’s Garden.
Please REUSE our bags & any vase or container!
REDUCE the number of vases by having us REUSE your favorites!
We care about our communities & our planet and we know you do too!
We are adding to the list all the time, but here are some of our accomplishments so far.
- We have reduced our use of floral foam by 90% and are working toward being completely foam free by the end of 2022.
- We have eliminated the use of dyed, bleached, & painted fresh flowers.
- We are educating the entire AG Team about alternative floral mechanics and environmentally friendly floral design.
- We recycle paper, plastics, metals.
- We started our Vase Recycling Program (see below).
- We have reduced our use of cellophane in our floral packaging & gift wrapping.
- We compost green materials whever possible and are committed to finding a complete composte solution by the end of 2022.
- We are expanding use of locally-grown, seasonal flowers during the Midwest growing season.
- We avoid single-use plastics.
- We are adding new eco-friendly product lines to our shop.
- We support local, independent businesses in our community and everywhere we travel.
- We are reducing paper in our offices.
- We are prioritizing the wages, benefits, & working conditions for our AG Team.
- Whenever possible, we choose suppliers & growers that support safe & fair working conditions for their employees.
- We continue to build a supportive network of other florists & business owners around the world to share ideas and educate ourselves about sustainable floristry.
- We are trying to be more thoughtful about every decision.
Vase Recycling Program
We welcome your unwanted vases as part of our Vase Recycling Program! You may drop off clean, unwanted vases at our shop in Downtown Wheaton on any day during regular business hours. We will either reuse, donate, or recycle them. We prefer that you bring them during regular business hours so that we can properly thank you in person. If that is not possible, you may leave them in a box, bag, or other container on the concrete stoop under the stairs by the back door to our shop. (Please do not place them on the ground & block our back door, cellar door, or our neighbor’s door!)
What will we do with the vases you drop off?
- Quality vases that meet our standards will be reused at Andrew’s Garden.
- Undamaged vases that cannot be reused will be donated.
- Vases that are cracked, chipped, or otherwise damaged will be recycled as appropriate.
Vase Trade-In Days
Our first Vase Trade-In event was so successful that we are doing it again! On the days listed below, we will accept reusable vases* in exchange for credit on an Andrew’s Garden gift card! Store credit amounts for reusable vases will generally range from $1 to $5 per vase depending on size & style. Certain large, specialty, or footed vases may qualify for larger credit. Bring in at least one reusable vase and the minimum credit you will receive is $5! We love vases that originally came from Andrew’s Garden! If we are unable to reuse a vase, we will gladly donate or recycle it.
*To be considered reusable, it must be a washed, clear glass vase (no colored glass or ceramics unless they were purchased at AG), without damage, cracks, or chips. Store credit only available during business hours on scheduled Vase Trade-In Days.
Upcoming Vase Trade-In Days
- February 4-5, 2022
- April 8-9, 2022
- July 8-9, 2022
- October 21-22, 2022